Climbing above the snow line can be a warm and wet affair if you’re poorly equipped.
Breathable laminate waterproofs fail surprisingly quickly but the hydrophobic factory finish will be restored to the outer laminate by washing with soap (rather than detergent) and re-proofing. Analogy waterproofs work by applying this treatment to a more breathable inner fabric dispensing with membrane entirely. Regular reproofing is essential for all modern waterproofs to keep you safe and warm.
We can supply boots, crampons, helmets and harnesses to hire at very reasonable cost. Just let us know what size you need.
Waterproof gloves are the holy grail for winter climbers. Save what you would pay for a new ice axe on dexterous high quality gloves and keep a pair of dachstein mitts in reserve.
- Waterproofs: the most breathable jacket and trousers are essential.
- Fleece or woollen tops and trousers
- Wicking base layer (not cotton)
- Plenty of socks
- Stiff boots (B2 or B3) and gaiters. Well-fitting crampons.
- Harveys 1:25,000 Ben Nevis and Glencoe (preferred). OS 1:50,000 or BMC 1:40,000 Maps
- Waterproof case and compass
- Torch and whistle
- Hat and gloves plus spares
- Sunglasses, sun-cream and Ski goggles
- Water bottle and spare or flask.
- Lunch plus spare food
- Large Orange or Reflexcell Emergency Survival Bag
- Rucksack (35-50L) and waterproof liner
- Helmet and harness
- Walking pole(s)
- Mountaineering ice axe or pair of climbing tools, belay plate and 2 locking krabs
Group Items Supplied
First aid kit
Rope, slings etc
Please donʼt hesitate to call me about kit prior to the course. The devilʼs in the detail!